The Livestock and Forage Centre of Excellence is a powerhouse for innovative research, teaching and industry engagement. In addition to its specialized bison facility, the centre brings together under one roof all aspects of raising beef cattle with a cow-calf operation, a feedlot and specialized metabolism barn.
The BCRTU is located 9 km south of Clavet, Sask., on Bentley Road.
- 1,500-head beef cattle feedlot including:
- 44 small pens for up to 15 animals each;
- Four large pens for up to 200 animals each, similar in size to actual feedlots. The larger pens are also equipped with a state-of-the-art GrowSafe Beef watering system that will weigh an animal and record when it is drinking. We can divide the large pens into eight 100-head pens; and
- Several small and large pens equipped with GrowSafe feeding bunks that measure the amount of feed consumed on an individual basis.
- 24-stall indoor metabolism barn. Each stall is equipped with a feeding trough and water bowl to allow for individual data collection. The stalls are designed for easy access to collect each animal’s waste separately. Infrared video cameras installed in the ceiling allow researchers to study animal behaviour day and night. The animals have access to outdoor exercise pens.
- Two laboratories with:
- Sample preparation areas, including sample grinders and industrial drying ovens; and
- Storage including an ultra-low temperature freezer, a walk-in freezer and a walk-in refrigerator.
- Environmental monitoring equipment stationed throughout feedlot and surrounding fields:
- The feedlot was constructed on greenfield land that had been used for crops and not for grazing animals, allowing for intensive environmental monitoring to assess the impacts of livestock production on soil and water;
- Meterological station records temperature, barometric pressure, rainfall, wind speed and direction
- The BCRTU is certified as a Verified Beef Production Plus operation.
The FCCRTU is located 9 km south of Clavet, Sask., on Bentley Road.
- 10-stall indoor calving barn
- Five 60-head capacity outdoor calving pens
- 12 20-head capacity outdoor research pens
- Six large paddocks adjacent to outdoor pens
- 15 quarters of land for annual and perennial crops, and grazing research (owned by USask)
- The FCCRTU is certified as a Verified Beef Production Plus operation.
Goodale Farm is located about 10 km southeast of Saskatoon, Sask., on Floral Road.
- 16 30-head capacity outdoor pens
- 12 quarters of land for annual and perennial crops, and grazing research (owned by USask)
- 500 acres of Goodale land divided into 12 grazing pastures and six holding paddocks
- 18 sorting/holding reinforced outdoor pens
- Indoor handling facility with reinforced chute system
- Laboratory for analyzing samples